The new age of modern world leads to a lot of lifestyle diseases and disorders. In the recent past, a silent killer started crawling. It is nothing but hypertension, otherwise termed, high blood pressure. It is indeed a biggest menace to the present generation.
Being a deadly condition, it is essential to find appropriate solution. Ayurveda the ancient system of medical wisdom approaches this condition in a comprehensive way in terms of identifying root causes, proper diagnosis, and promising treatments.
Hypertension is likely to be the root cause of many chronic diseases and disorders. Risk of prolonged hypertension to diabetes, insomnia, heart diseases, kidney problems and many more. Some of the common symptoms which include but not limited to are –
- moderate to severe head ache at back of the head
- irregular heart beats
- frequent urination
- shortness of breath
- extreme fatigue / frequent dizziness
AyurvedicImbalance – Hypertension
Under ayurvedic classification, hypertension comes under Vata / Kapha imbalance. Vitiation of Vata (air element) is the main pathology.
When the blood flow (RaktaDhatu) obstructs the VyanaVata in the overall circulation, it leads to vata vitiation. It leads to an additional force on the arterial walls of the heart, causing high pressure.
The major triggers of the hypertension include the following:
- Stress – lifestyle, work, and environment
- Overall lifestyle habits
- Overeating salt / taking too much salty foods
- Frequent intake of fast foods / packed / canned foods packed with food additives and preservatives
- Poor sleep
- Lack of physical activity
- Metabolic conditions
- Conditions that harden the arteries
Treatment Plan for Hypertension
Generally, ayurvedic treatment plan for hypertension comprises of diet recommendations, lifestyle changes and physical therapies. Rarely, administration of medicine is required.
Diet includes the following
In ayurveda, foods have life, which can feed life and nourish the life.
- Vegetables and fruits with high fibre content are the best.
- Food should be consumed either raw or steamed as this preserves most of the nutrients; the fibres are simplified for easy absorption and an intestinal broom.
- Fresh foods and steamed foods have nourishing properties which reduces hypertension.
- Low fat dairy is preferred since high caloric food aggravates hypertension.
- Avoid alcohol, Coffee and smoking and all types of processed foods.
Lifestyle is a crucial tool in development of hypertension
- Trying to avoid stress helps better
- Get enough sleep, which has direct impact in reducing stress levels and keeping you energized
- Rest is equally necessary like sleep
- Make regular exercise or any physical activity as part of your lifestyle. It keeps you active, burns more calories, helps managing weight and keeps cholesterol in control.
Panchakarma is helpful in reducing blood pressure.
Panchakarma is a detox and rejuvenation therapy. Since hypertension may lead to clogs in the circulation, Panchakarma can be highly beneficial.
- Mild Abhyanga (whole body massage) and Swedana(herbal steam) to dilate blood vessels and nourish the tissues.
- Regular Virechana and Basti therapies to manage the circulation
- Nervine herbs and cardio tonics can be administered rationally as per individual requirements
Medicines for Hypertension
Administering ayurvedic herbs and herbal concoctions can help you calm down and reduce the pressure.
- Single herbs – Sarpagandha (Rauwolfiaserpentina), Jatamansi (Nardostachysjatamansi), Brahmi, Ashwagandhaetc are antihypertensive medicines
- Combination medicines as SarpagandhaghanVati, Ashwagandharishta, Brahmi Vati, MedhyaRasayana, PrabhakarVati are also helpful.
Do not take medicines without proper prescription from Ayurvedic practitioner. If you look for the best ayurvedic consultation and treatment, book an appointment with Ayurways, in Spotwoods Melbourne now.