While the infertility rate in women is shooting up in the recent past. One of the major reasons that appear alarming to young women is PCOS, Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome.
What is PCOS?
It is a hormonal disorder predominantly seen in young women during their reproductive age. It may be recurrent or occasional, which affects the menstrual cycle. Due to imbalanced hormones, women develop small cysts or tiny follicles of fluids which affect releasing eggs for reproduction / menstruation. Often, women with PCOS may experience longer menstrual days, high level of Androgen (male hormone) or improper menstrual cycle.
Ayurvedic Perception of PCOS
Ayurveda classified a set of diseases that affect woman’s progeny mainly due to improper diet. Risk of getting PCOS is directly proportional to the obesity! In Ayurvedic eye, it is mainly a Kapha disorder. However, all three doshas share equal responsibilities in managing the female reproductive system. Vata governs movement, movement of follicles during the cycle and Apana Vayu regulates the menstrual cycle.
Treatment for PCOS in Ayurveda
Change in diet and lifestyle helps balancing Vata and Kapha which in turn cures PCOS. In some cases, Panchakarma therapy (purification therapy) is recommended.
Ayurvedic Diet Suggestions for PCOS
- Avoid dairy products which aggravate Kapha.
- As suggested for balancing the doshas, eat nourishing foods which is light and freshly cooked.
- Avoid junk foods and dry foods. (Strictly no to deep fried foods and high salty foods)
- Stay away from meat and white sugar.
- Include a lot of fresh herbs in form of herbal teas.
- Cinnamon, fenugreek, garlic, ginger etc are helps balancing the dosha
- Include healthy fats in your diet (Pure ghee, coconut oil, sesame oil etc)
- Eat freshly cooked foods every time.
- Eat rice or main carbs in moderate quantity which aggravates kapha.
Ayurvedic Herbs for PCOS
PCOS treatment includes herbal remedies which not only balances the doshas, but also strengthen the reproductive system.
- Shilajit (Purified Asphaltum) – Anti-inflammatory herb, which also has immune boosting properties and rejuvenating properties
- Shatavari – packed with dense nutrients from vitamin A to minerals. Contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Neem – Needless to highlight, a blood purifier which cleanses the whole body.
- Ashoka – Repairs the sensitive lining wall of the uterus and also regulates the hormones
- Ashwaganda – a powerful adaptogen which helps neutralizing your body and mind, regulate your mood and gives you energy
Panchakarma Therapy for PCOS
In some cases, purification and rejuvenation therapy is prescribed to treat PCOS. The following therapies included in the treatment of PCOS.
- Medicated Enema – Medicated liquids or ghee or oil is passed through vaginal / rectal route.
- Vamana – Induced vomiting by selected ayurvedic medicines to balance kapha dosha.
- Virechana- Herbal enema to remove the toxins and balance the vata.
In addition to these therapies and diet changes, lifestyle should be changed. Since diet plays a major role in inducing PCOS, it relates to obesity. You should try to reduce weight to enhance the effectiveness of the treatment. Making small changes in your diet and lifestyle can bring miraculous effects in improving your health and fertility.
If you look for comprehensive ayurvedic care to treat PCOS, do not hesitate to contact Ayurways, Melbourne now.