Diabetes, the auto-immune disorder has become the biggest threat to the mankind. It is a metabolic disorder, characterized by the abnormally high level of glucose (blood sugar) in the blood stream. It makes body powerless to absorb or make use of the glucose from what you eat. When your body cannot utilize the blood sugar, it leads hyperglycemia, causing diabetes.
Sweetness of life turns bitter when you develop diabetes. People, across the globe experience difficulties in metabolizing the glucose properly. Soaring blood glucose levels become epidemic in several countries. It is a lifestyle condition, triggered by poor diet.
Glucose is the major element that gives you energy. When you lack main source of energy to body mind and body, you often feel tired, which makes you eat often.
Diabetes in the Ancient Wisdom
Although diabetes is a disorder of the recent past, the 5000 years old ancient wisdom briefed about this condition. Ayurveda refers Diabetes as Madhumeha, which translates to Sweet Urine.
Elevated blood sugar levels can be detected through urine test. Also, the description of diabetes in Ayurveda highlights that it cause derangements of the tissues due to metabolic imbalance. Also, diabetes is recognized as a multifactorial condition triggered due to many factors.
Diabetes and Ayurvedic Imbalance
The major cause of diabetes is choice of eating. Ayurveda states poor digestion is the major cause of diabetes. Diabetes is associated with two doshas, Pitta and Vata. Ayurveda categorized diabetes under ‘Maha Rog’ means chronic disease.
- Vitiation of Vata leads to dryness which affects absorption of glucose into the cells.
- Toxic accumulation leads to Ama, which impairs the functions of pancreas and spikes the blood sugar.
In some cases, Kapha dosha also leads to diabetes. People with vitiated Vata are likely to overeat to gain the balance or seek comfort. It leads to Kapha imbalance. When Kapha becomes imbalance due to excessive eating, it leads to Ama and cause diabetes.
Treatment Approach for Diabetes in Ayurveda
Diet plan for diabetes
Since food choices and proper eating play a pivotal role in triggering diabetes, diet plan plays pivotal role in treatment. There are many healthy food choices you can pick to keep the spiking glucose levels in control.
- Avoid sugar (starchy / high carb foods) in any form, which includes but not limited to rice, potato, banana, cereals and fruits containing high percentage of sugar content.
- Do away with fatty stuff. It contributes to elevation of glucose.
- Go for the following low-calorie, low-fat alkaline diet of high quality natural foods.
- Seeds: Paslane seeds, seeds of bitter gourd and fenugreek
- Vegetables: Bitter Gourd, string beans, cucumber, onion, garlic (strict no to root vegetables)
- Fruits: Indian Gooseberry, Jambul Fruit, Grape Fruit.
- Grains: Bengal gram, black gram.
- Dairy Products: Home-made cottage cheese and various forms of soured milk such as curd and butter milk.
Make sure you have the emphasis on eating more quantity of raw vegetables and herbs as they play a part in stimulating the pancreas and enhancing insulin production.
Lifestyle Changes that can be helpful
- Don’t indulge in day-time sleep.
- Ensure not to injure yourself as you take time to heal. As a result, there is a possibility of the wound becoming septic.
- Should take adequate eye care as the severity of the disease may affect the eyes.
- If you are afflicted by any other disease, you should take prompt actions since you lack resistance in your body.
- Not to miss proper foot care
Herbal Medicines that can reduce blood sugar levels
Herbs come handy to reduce the blood sugar levels.
- Gurmar Leaves
- Bitter gourd
Following are the authentic ayurvedic medicines prescribed for diabetes.
- Nisha TriphalaYog
- Madhumehari Powder
Take care of your health, before it becomes chronic. Visit Ayurways in SpotWoods, Melbourne if you look for comprehensive healthcare solutions.