Ayurvedic Approach to Weight Loss
Ayurveda, the holistic system calls the condition characterized by overweight (obesity) as “Medoroga”. It is a disorder of the MedaDathu, which regulates the tissue and fat metabolism. Ayurveda perceives every disease or disorder as an imbalance of Doshas. Let’s understand the root cause of Obesity from the lens of Ayurveda which will lead to better understanding of the therapy. Imbalance of the digestive fire called Agni leads to Ama(toxins) accumulation. This results in imbalance of the microcirculatory channels called Shrotas causing weight gain. On a simple tone, diet and lifestyle affects digestion, accumulates fat, affects body metabolism, which leads to gaining weight.
Weight Loss Therapy
Ayurvedic weight loss is all about balancing your body energy, which aids in weight loss. Generally, the therapy involves multiple factors which include strict diet, lifestyle modifications, herbal medicines and physical therapies.
Since digestive power is compromised, Ayurveda suggests eating light and easy to digest foods. Including a lot of herbs and mild spices to aid digestion.
- Water or warm water is a natural detoxifying agent – Drink adequate water to stay hydrated
- Start and end your day with drinking a glass of hot water.
- Practice mindful eating.
- Avoid tamasic foods – trans-fat, processed fats, sodas, refined flour and oil etc
- Get the diet recommendation based on your body type
- Eat the seasonal produce – fruits, vegetables, lentils, etc
- To strengthen Agni, always eat freshly cooked foods.
- To boost functions of Agni, eat foods with moist – oil or ghee
- Eat only when you are hungry
- Do not eat anything after sunset
- Go for fasting one day, every month – A natural cleansing and purifying habit
Panchakarma Therapy – The Detox Therapy
Panchakarma cleanses your body from the deepest level of the tissues. It clears away the Ama, energizes your cells and tissues and regulates your whole body mechanism. It also promotes mental health and wellness.
- Abhyanga – Medicated oil massage which loosens the stiffness, relaxes the body, improves circulation etc
- Udvarthana – Dry massage performed using special herbs and medicines, where the powder is massaged in specific strokes in stomach. (Reduce belly fat)
- Swedana – Steam therapy
- Vamana – Induced vomiting with ayurvedic preparation
- Basti – Medicated enema which administers oils, liquids or herbal concoction through rectal pathway.
Herbs and Ayurvedic Medicines for Weight Loss
- Triphala – a multi-faceted powerful herb
- Punarnava – A rasayana, helps rejuvenation of the entire body
- Garcinia Cambogia – blocks fat production and enhances body metabolism
- Guggul – metabolizes the cholesterol, fat, enhances lipid profile
- Wheatgrass powder / juice
- Kalonji – black cumin which is a remedy for everything but death
In Ayurveda, food is medicine. Eat according to the season (Ritucharya), according to the daily routine (Dinacharya) and according to the body constitution.
Why Ayurveda for Weight Loss?
Ayurveda do not offer any direct weight loss programs. The treatment aims at finding the causes of your weight gain, analysis of the Dosha and giving appropriate treatment to balance the doshas.
The most distressing problem, faced by millions of people in the world is struggles to lose weight. Weight loss has a million dollar market, with lots of supplements, weight loss pills, products and many more. Ayurveda, the ancient science of life has laid down a few important rules, to lead a healthy and disease free life. Losing weight the realistic way is the only option to maintain health. If you go for pills or supplements, it harms your health and affects the functions of the organs.
Ayurveda not only helps you lose weight in the most realistic and beneficial way, but also aids in detox, rejuvenate your body and mind, keep you healthy. If you want healthy weight loss treatment, contact Ayurways, the comprehensive Ayurvedic Wellness center in Melbourne.