While it appears a fancy term, it is a major and common problem in the current era. this is also termed as Hyperlipidaemia / high cholesterol. It is a chronic metabolic disorder caused by elevated levels of lipids or lipoproteins in the blood.
Lipids, cholesterol and triglycerides are the types of blood fats. The major cause of Hyperlipidaemia is poor choice of eating. Unhealthy eating leads to deposits of fat / cholesterol. Similarly, eating too much or not burning calories deposit in the body as triglycerides.
Cholesterol deposition is the major source of the cardiac problems. The accumulation or deposits of the lipids in the blood vessels affect the flow and circulation. Obstruction in the blood flow can lead to stroke and heart attack. High cholesterol, the deposits of excessive cholesterol in the blood vessels leads to coronary artery disease and arteriosclerosis.
Hyperlipidaemia and Ayurvedic Imbalance (Vata / Kapha Classification)
The human body has seven different types of tissues. In Ayurveda, the tissues are called ‘Dhatu’ and this condition is termed as Medoroga. Vitiation of Kapha primarily causes Hyperlipidaemia, along with imbalanced Vata & Pitta.
In Ayurveda, Meda / fat is actually a beneficial element to the body. (Even western medicine has categorized cholesterol as Good and Bad.) The presence of cholesterol turns bad with the presence of Ama in the body.
Kapha imbalance is the trigger of the Hyperlipidaemia. Kapha is responsible for fat metabolism in the body. Your body produces excessive cholesterol due to imbalanced Kapha.
Ama in perspective of the bad cholesterol represents the metabolic leftovers as deposits in the fat tissues. It appears sticky and affects digestion. As these deposits accumulate overtime, it settles as residue in the body channels affecting the flow of blood.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hyperlipidaemia
Diet for Hyperlipidaemia
Pacifying aggravated kaphadosha is proven highly beneficial.
- Kapha pacifies and gains the balance with astringent, bitter, pungent, dry and light foods.
- Stick to low fat diet with plenty of fresh vegetables, green salads and fruits
- Avoid eating and excess of meat, egg, sugar, tea or coffee, pickles, soft drinks, candies, ice cream, refined and processed foods.
- Consume more quantities of lemon juice, coriander soup, mint juice and warm water.
Lifestyle recommendations for Hyperlipidaemia
- Avoid sedentary habits and make sure you are active and energetic throughout the day
- Aerobic Exercise to the capacity every day, which can be in any form.
- Avoid Stress – Although it is difficult to stay composed, try to reduce the stress levels
- Regular practice of yoga and meditation or even a few minutes of deep breathing exercises do good!
Herbs for Hyperlipidaemia
Many herbs and spices are effective in reducing the cholesterol level in your body.
- Garlic (Allium Sativum)
- Gugglu (commiphoramukul)
Panchakarma – Ayurvedic Therapy for Hyperlipidaemia
In some cases, administering the ayurvedic therapies help to a great extent. Panchakarma, the ultimate detox therapy proves as the best solution for Hyperlipidaemia.
- Dry Abhyanga (without ayurvedic oil) and Swedana are helpful
- Sharp Basti to reduce Kapha
- Mild Virechana on regular intervals over a long term
Medicines for Hyperlipidemia
Following medicines can help you reduce the blood cholesterol levels.
- Brahmi Vati
Make sure to consult with an authentic ayurvedic practitioner before you consume any medicine or herbal remedy for Hyperlipidaemia. Consult Ayurways, SpotWoods, Melbourne, for appropriate treatment and lifestyle recommendations to stay healthy!