Panchkarma is an essence of the Ayurveda. It is the comprehensive ayurvedic therapy, an ultimate body/mind purification and detoxification process.
PanchKarma means five therapies. The combination of different therapies aimed at managing multiple systemic diseases, from joint problems, musculo skeletal problems, auto-immune disorders, neurological conditions, dermatological problems to psychiatric disorders. Panchakarma aims at rejuvenating the life in and out.
‘Ama’ accumulation of toxins is the major cause various diseases in Ayurveda. When you eliminate the root cause, you become strong, healthy and happy. In simple words, it is an intensive cleansing therapy that purifies your whole body, and drives away the disease causing elements.
Panchakarma is not just an ultimate detoxifying therapy, there is more to it. Panchkarma offers best solutions and cure for the chronic conditions and autoimmune disorders, which are generally labeled ‘incurable!’
While Panchakarma cures the chronic ailments through detox and restoration process, Ayurveda insists taking Panchakarma as seasonal treatment. It helps maintaining the harmony and balance in the body and mind.
- It aids in rejuvenation of the whole body, inside out.
- Strengthens the immune system
- Restores balance in your body and mind
- Promotes overall wellbeing
- Slows down the ageing process
Authentic Procedures and Protocol of Panchakarma
Panchakarma is a sequence of various therapies administered in a specific way, during specific time, for specific period, according to the diagnosis. Panchakarma therapies are derived based on the following factors.
- Type of body constitution
- Doshic imbalance
- Lifestyle and habits
- Immune status
- Symptoms of the diseases
Although this is the most blissful therapy ever, at times, you may need to encounter the discomforts during release of toxins.
The procedure of the Panchakarma involves three stages.
- Purva Karma – Pre-Procedure
- Pradhan Karma – Actual Procedure
- Paschyat Karma – Post Procedure
Purva Karma – Stage 1
During the stage, the therapy aims at stimulating the muscles and tissues to loosen the accumulated toxins. It also mobilizes the digestive system.
Purva Karma commences with full body oil massage performed by one or two technicians, in a rhythmic way. It is a head to toe deep massage that stimulates all layers of the tissue. In case of necessity, the herbal oil is also fed orally for up scaling detox.
- Snehana – Oil massage / massage with ghee / cow’s milk
- Swedana – Steam bath
Pradhan Karma – Stage 2
This is the main treatment stage. It involves five stages of purification, which essentially relates to the term Panchakarma.
- Vaman – Induced vomiting which cleanses the respiratory tract and cures respiratory disorders
- Virechana – Induced purgation to eliminate the excess Pita in the body
- Nasya – Nostril administration of the herbal concoction
- Basti – enema liquid medicated concoction / ghee / oil
- RaktaMokshaka– purification of blood
Pashcat Karma – Stage 3
It is a restoration phase of therapy. Detoxified tissues need rejuvenation, nourishment and restoration. The therapy focuses on strengthening the digestive system and rejuvenation of the muscles/tissues.
This is accomplished by taking strengthening herbs after the first two stage are completed.
Panchakarma is a pleasurable experience, tailored based on the diagnosis and needs of every individual. It involves a combination of different physical therapies to herbal diet and lifestyle practices. It is not a one-treatment for all therapy. The combination of various therapies in Panchakarma includes
- Abhyanga – Daily warm oil massage with medicated oils
- Swedana – Herbal steam therapy
- Lymphatic massage with medicated oils, herbal wraps, etc.
- Basti – Herbal enemas
- Nasya – Nasal administrations of Ayurvedic concoctions
- Other special treatments
Ayurways, a comprehensive Ayurvedic Care in Melbourne, offers you the authentic panchkarma therapy, customized as per the individual health requirements.