Menstrual irregularities are very common in women across all ages. Irregular menses can be of many types. In many cases it is common and harmless.
However, you should exercise proper care and ensure your menstruation is going through a normal process. Improper cycle, spotting, infrequent or frequent menses, heavy bleeding, complete absence of menstrual cycle, intolerable pain during periods etc are to be taken seriously.
There could be many factors that contribute to the menstrual irregularities, from poor nutrition to any indication of diseases. Menstrual irregularities may lead to infertility in women. Let us see how we can manage the irregular menses with the help of the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda.
Vata Disorder in Ayurveda
Imbalance of the Vata Dosha, which governs the movement in the body is the major cause of menstrual irregularities.
- Kapha Dosha dominates the first part of the menstrual cycle, which is called ‘Rutukala.’ It is the period of ovulation.
- From ovulation to next part, Pitta Dosha dominates the phase, which is called ‘Rutavateta kala.’ It is the period where egg is ready for fertilization.
- When fertilization does not happen, the third phase arrives, which is called ‘Rajahkala.’ Vata Dosha dominates this phase. It was described eloquently as ‘cry of the deceased ovum’ where the moving element Vata acts as driving force to enable the menstrual flow.
When the Vata becomes imbalanced, the third phase gets blocked and difficulties appear!
Treatment for any imbalance is bringing the opposite quality in terms of diet and treatment. To reduce the aggravation of Vata, combat dryness with moistness. Treatment for menstrual irregularities includes, diet changes, therapies and medicines. Do not suppress the natural urge, which further aggravates Vata.
Vata Pacifying Diet
Go to basic diet. Eat a lot of ghee, especially during the menstrual cycles. Include a lot of mushy, moist and warm foods cooked in spices. Avoid caffeine, cola and any beverages other than fresh juices.
Hydration is yet another major element that can reduce the Vata aggravation. Drink a lot of water, herbal teas, fresh juices etc. eat more of semi-solid diet than dry foods.
On a simple note, eat simple diet which is easily digestible. Cook a fresh meal and eat it warm.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Menstrual Irregularities
Many herbs help managing the pain, control the irregularities of the menstrual cycle.
- Ashwagandha – Manages the health, physically and mentally, gives energy and controls the heavy menstrual flow.
- Castor Oil – It is a blessing for women who suffer from irregular menses. Topical application helps reducing pain and oral administration cleanses the stomach.
- Guggul and Guduchi are helpful in strengthening the immunity, and regulate the periods.
- Dashamula – bring strength and stability in the vata affected system
- Aloe Vera – cooling, moisturizing and blood cleansing herb
- Triphala – known for its detox properties
Panchakarma Therapy for Menstrual Irregularities
Abhyanga – Ayurvedic body massage nourishes the body which reduces the aggravation of Vata.
Basti – medicated enema is one of the most effective therapies that balance the vitiation of Vata. Medicated oil or ghee is administered through the rectum route.
Women’s body is very unique and its our honor to help you make sure you take good care. If you wish to have a clear insight or treatment for menstrual irregularities, consult with Ayurways in Melbourne.