Hay Fever in Children
Hay Fever is a seasonal allergy. It is more common in children during the early years where the immune system is growing.
It is an outcome of allergic reaction. Exposure to dust mites and pollens reaches the airways, leads to inflammation. It affects sinus pathway, throat, eyes, nose and throat. It is common during dry seasons. It can be seasonal rhinitis or perennial rhinitis (happens throughout the year) caused by allergic triggers.
Unlike western medicine, Ayurveda do not offer symptomatic treatment to Hay fever in kids. Understanding the triggers and body nature combined with the symptoms helps providing appropriate treatment that offers complete cure and build immunity.
Ayurvedic Perspective of Hay Fever
Hay fever is the outcome of the Vata imbalance due to seasonal changes. As mentioned earlier, hay fever or allergic rhinitis is more common during dry period. Kids with natural domination of Vata dosha, with developing immune system are likely to get affected by hay fever.
Ayurveda has briefed about managing and curing the hay fever. To gain experience of the ancient wisdom, contact Ayurways, the comprehensive Ayurvedic care in Melbourne.
During the winter, a child’s body is adjusted to the temperature which forms an extra layer internally to manage the temperature. It works the same with adults too! After the winter season, in case of healthy adults, when the temperature increases, the extra layer gradually moves into bloodstream, get neutralized and excreted.
In case of children, the body lacks efficiency to neutralize it. When a child already suffers from weak or developing immune system, they become prey to allergic reactions. Also, if there is a family history of allergy, the likeliness is more.
Although Kapha secretion is the core, Vata imbalance triggers the allergy. During the dry season, Vata naturally gets aggravated. Also, Vata governs the nervous system in the body. Vitiated Vata in children, combined with other triggers leads to headache, sneezing, dryness of the mouth and eventually, hay fever.
Treatment of Hay Fever
Food / diet recommendations
- Include more seasonal vegetables, fruits and easily digestible foods in the diet.
- Avoid feeding heavy and cold foods.
- Add more herbs in cooking – cumin, fennel, basil, coriander, parsley, etc which boosts immunity as well as improves digestion
In case of severity, Ayurveda recommends following therapies.
- Nasya – Administering the nasal drops to clear away blockages and elimination of ama.
- Virechana – Removal of toxins and cleansing the intestines
Herbal Remedies and Ayurvedic Medicines for Hay Fever
- Long Pepper – Boost the immune system
- Turmeric – Mix turmeric with honey and milk / water and feed the child warm. Including turmeric controls the aggravation of symptoms during the onset of Hay Fever.
- Tulsi – has amazing properties that rejuvenates the respiratory system.
Since child’s body is very tender, it is recommended to consult with an ayurvedic practitioner for administering herbs and ayurvedic medicines.