Asthma, a breathing disorder is a chronic and severe condition in children. Since children have smaller air ways, they struggle immensely.
Dust mites, Seasonal pollens, airborne allergens, ragweed, animal dander, molds, and pollens from flowers and plants are the major causes Asthma in children. Asthma in kids begins with nasal congestion, stiffness, throat infection etc. Gradually the symptoms aggravate and a child may feel shortness of breath, and chest congestion. While reducing the exposure to allergens curb down the symptoms, we cannot call it a complete cure! It is hard to put on your child under prolonged medications since asthma is a life-threatening condition, which may trigger anaphylaxis! The solution is available in form of Ayurveda. Get the comprehensive treatment for allergies and asthma for your children from Ayurways, in Melbourne. Now, let us share a brief insight about Asthma in Children from Ayurvedic view point.
‘Tamaka Svasa’ Asthma in Children – Kapha Imbalance
All asthmatic conditions lead towards the imbalance of a biological dosha, the underlying cause that triggers the symptoms and aggravates it. Kapha imbalance or aggravation is the cause of Asthma where it blocks the respiratory tract and blocks the free flow of air. The airways get irritation and inflamed. Blockages in the bronchial tract create spasm which leads to wheezing and asthma. Balancing the Kapha in the lungs or respiratory system forms the treatment for Asthma.
Ayurveda classified Asthma into two types,
- Beeja Dosha which means inherited asthma, where Kapha in lungs would be an inborn condition
- Sahaja dosha which means acquired condition, where Kapha aggravates due to various causes
Many children with Sahaja asthma easily get relieved from asthma. Beeja dosha is difficult to treat due to the inheritance factor. However, in many cases, asthma or asthmatic symptoms gradually or suddenly disappears before the child reaches 10th year of age. It marks an observation that the child’s immunity grows, and the dosha falls in line balanced.
Ayurvedic treatment not only includes medicines or therapies. Administering a combination of strict diet, reducing the exposure to triggers, herbal remedies and therapies help.
The major treatment for asthma in child includes freeing-up the phlegm in the airway which softens the tract. According to the Charaka Samhita, the authentic ayurvedic text, clearing away the phlegm or mucous in the breathing tract involves encouraging the Vata, opposite quality of the Kapha. Application of heat and dryness helps clearing away the phlegm, like snow melting away after the sunrise.
- Abhyanga (massage) in the chest and throat area helps loosening the congestion in the upper part of the body.
- Swedana – Steam therapy clears away the accumulation of Kapha in the lungs.
- Vamana – Induced vomiting is the way that balances the kapha dosha.
Herbs and Medicines
- Vasa: Vasa is a highly effective herbal plant that act as a bronchodilator. It widens the airways, relieves the spams and ease breathing.
- Thyme: It is an expectorant that breaks up the blocks in the airways.
- Ephedra: Most powerful expectorant and bronchodilator. Dosage recommendation from ayurvedic physician is necessary.
- Ginger and garlic – provides quick relief from asthma attack.
- Warm sesame oil massage in the chest relieves from congestion