Ayurvedic Tongue Diagnosis – Read Your Tongue Yourself
Ayurveda has many diagnostic methods. Tongue, the organ of taste is one of the strong tools used for diagnosis. Along with the pulse, eyes, skin, nails, etc tongue also helps in in-depth diagnosis. Indeed, it is called as “Window of the Inner System”. Read your tongue and know about your health condition.
Ayurvedic tongue diagnosis is very simple and easy to interpret. Here is the brief outlook on self diagnosis with tongue.
Common Indications of your Tongue – How to Read Your Tongue
Before you move on to read, remember, every part of tongue connects with every major organ in your body!
Tongue and correlated organs
Each part of the Tongue associates with various organs in the body
- The front part of the tongue associates with the upper Gastro Intestinal tract, heart and lungs.
- The Middle part of the tongue connected with the stomach, liver and spleen.
- The back part of the tongue associates with kidneys and large intestine
- The tip of the tongue also associates with an important gland. It represents the thyroid gland.
- The vertical line in the middle of the tongue indicates spine.
Coatings on tongue – Color and Location
Coatings in different colors (white, yellow, light pink, grey etc) indicate the toxic accumulation in your tissues and poor digestion.
Location of the coating on tongue
Most commonly, you can find the coatings on the back of your tongue, which relates to the colon area.
Color of the coatings on tongue
- Grey, black or brown color – accumulation of Vata Ama and indication of Vata imbalance
- Yellow, red, and orange – accumulation of Pitta Ama and indication of Pitta imbalance
- White – accumulation of Kapha Ama and indication of Kapha imbalance
Cracks on Tongue (Vata Imbalance)
If you notice cracks on your tongue, it is a clear indication of Vata imbalance. Cracks represent dryness.
As stated above, location of the crack indicates the imbalance or dysfunction in the respective organs.
- Crack in form of the vertical line at the center of the tongue – Spine
- Crack in the middle of the tongue – Stress and emotions in spine
- Crack in the top of the tongue – Cervical spine due to stress, pain and misalignment
- Multiple cracks – severe vata imbalance
Red / Inflamed Tongue / red papillae on tongue
You could have often noticed tiny red spots on the tongue surface. Red reflects the heat, the Pitta dosha. Ulcer, acidity, high fever, gerd etc causes red inflamed spots or red papillae on the tongue surface.
Pale tongue is too common in many people. The natural color of the tongue should in pinkish-red. Neither dark nor pale. Pale color means anemia, poor circulation and indicates low RBC count.
It is an indication of Kapha imbalance and the underlying conditions may include,
- Fluid retention
Be your own health critic just by learning how your tongue appears. It never lies and indicates your health condition clearly. This is only for learning and information about the health condition. Do not compare the self assessment with professional diagnosis / consultation.