Ayurvedic Eye Care Tips
When you think of eye care, you mind and memories probably run things around sleep, blue screen, healthy diet, and eye care treatments. Ayurveda gives you a new dimension to the eye care!
Needless to say, eyes are the epitome of the face. It is one of the five senses. Eyes without vision mean nothing. In Ayurveda, it connects your inner world with the outer world. Poor eye care as well as poor lifestyle causes imbalance in your body, which affects eyes. Eye is also a tool of diagnosis in Ayurveda. Eyes depict all emotions from grief to stress. An Ayurvedic physician can easily diagnose your health condition by scanning your eyes.
That’s enough of eyes isn’t it? Let us see about Ayurvedic eye care!
Ayurveda advocates protecting and loving your eyes to impart balance and energize your vision. There are many diet recommendations, lifestyle changes, ayurvedic therapies and simple exercises that can help you care for your eyes.
Eye and Five Elements
Eye regulates all five elements, which holds responsibility in maintaining the eye health.
- Earth – Prithvi – Regulates the muscular part
- Fire – Tejas – Regulates the blood vessels
- Air – Vayu – Governs the color of the eye
- Water – Apu – Rules the white space
- Space – Akasha – Manages the channels and tear ducts
Ayurvedic Therapy – Netra Tarpana
The major Ayurvedic therapy for eyes is Netra Tarpana. It is a part of the Ayurvedic Panchakarma therapy. The ancient therapy is also called as Akshitarpana.
- Akshi / Netra – Eyes
- Tarpana – Nourishment
It is quite beneficial to rejuvenate your eyes, nourish and strengthen your eyes. It makes the nerves, tissues and cells strong, young and healthy. It enhances the sensory power of your vision, prevents ageing damage that is likely to reduce your vision power etc. It is a preventive therapy as well as a treatment for eye diseases.
More than treating eye related conditions, it is a brilliant way to cleanse, rejuvenate and nourish your eyes!
Common Ayurvedic Eye Care Tips
This might be common healthcare / eye care tips you have known already.
- Lack of seep is the major culprit that ruins the beauty and vision of the eyes. Ensure you get adequate sleep.
- Don’t expose to bright lights often.
- Wear sunglasses whenever necessary
- Wash your eyes with cold water several times a day
Ayurvedic Eye Care – Yoga / Exercises
Practice eye exercises for 10 to 15 minutes. You can do this once or twice a day.
- Roll your eyes clockwise and anti-clock wise for 15 to 20 twenty times.
- Roll your eyes up and down without moving your head for 15 to 20 minutes
- Roll your eyes left and right without moving your head for 15 to 20 minutes
- Light a candle and stare at the light for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Close an eye with palm and see with other eye for 5 minutes and repeat it with other eye
- Blink continuously for 20 to 30 times
Ayurvedic Herb for Eye Care
Ginkgo Biloba is the most powerful herb that supports your eye health. It prevents the eye disorders caused due to ageing, and degeneration.
Ayurveda also suggest eating healthy and fresh produce for eye health. All fresh produces in red, yellow, dark green and orange are good for your eyes.
Periodically or once in every six months, get Netra Tarpana to strengthen your eyes that prevent all diseases.